Well it’s Monday so that means it is time to post a new piece! It’s been 2 weeks since my plan of posting a new piece every Monday…so far so good. Ok- yes I realize it hasn’t been that long & the true test is yet to come but you can let me have this alright.
School starts for my kids this week with my youngest child starting kindergarten. AHHHH!! That’s kind of crazy. I have had lots of people ask me how I’m doing with that & I thought I must be a bad mom or something because it wasn’t affecting me at all & I’m really happr for her. She is SO READY to go to school! She is bored out of her mind & needs the excitement that going to school will bring. But a few days ago, I started thinking that maybe I shouldn’t send her to school…maybe I should just keep her at home with me forever. I mean, I really am the only one that can keep her safe right? She’s so young & small, I would be out of my mind to send her somewhere for 2 full days a week!!! So as I was contemplating all of this, I realized “hmmm…maybe I’m a good mom after all.” Because we all know, the test of a good mom is whether or not they are ready to send their youngest/last child to kindergarten. So it’s confirmed then! Ok, let’s just say that I will get emotional on Tuesday when she just rides into the wild blue yonder that is kindergarten, with nary a look back at her mother who has been with her CONSTANTLY for the last 5 years. She’s also our last child so it makes me even more reflective/depressing.
Onto my new piece! So since my image of the lady with the pink hair in “Just Smile” is so popular, I decided to do a “close-up” version of her. As with the other one, she styles herself a tad over the top and loves to push boundaries…what with her bright pink hair & all!! She is fancy but very cool. So basically when she walks into a room she has this attitude like “yup, here I am… & I am pretty awesome” instead of “yes dahling. I am a Queen, please be sure to let everyone know I have arrived.”
Click on the links to find out more about purchasing this piece
Keep up with Janelle Nichol
It’s Monday so that means I am releasing a new piece! My goal is to have something new to show you every Monday until the end of November. Even if it’s just a few sketches to show you. So it should be interesting to see how that goes! Christmas time is my busiest time of the year and I’m trying to spread out the work so I don’t have to kill myself come October. That never works very well for me.
This mixed media inspirational piece is titled “The Spring Fairy”. It’s kind of a version of my “Little Birdie” piece but with a fairy. If you follow me on Instagram you will have seen a couple of quick progress videos I did on there with the wings. Let me tell you- those wings were the death of me!! I’m finally happy with them though…so I guess it was all worth it. Remember, for my facebook fans, if you “Like” & “Comment” on this piece, you may win an 8×10 Fine Art Print!
Click on the links to see where you can purchase.
Here are some detail shots of this piece. Click on the thumbnail to see larger, clearer photos.
Keep up with Janelle Nichol
As many of you know, I went to Las Vegas back in June to attend the Licensing Expo with my agency. While I was there, they kind of threw out the idea that maybe I could try a landscape piece. So that is what I did! It took me about a month to finish it & it was quite frustrating at times but also very enjoyable….as most of my pieces are while I’m working on them. You can view the video I filmed while I was in Las Vegas Here.
(Note: I am now putting a larger, transparent watermark of my logo on my pieces which you can see here. It is NOT on any prints, canvases or the original)
Before I show that to you, I just want to mention that I will now be releasing all of my new pieces on Mondays. It just helps me to keep everything straight if I do it on the same day every time. So that means if there is a new piece I am working on, you can now be watching it for it on Mondays rather than wondering if you have missed it. Also, if you haven’t been to my Facebook Page, I encourage you to head on over there & “Like” it as I will now be having a special Giveaway for my FB fans everytime I release a new piece!
If you are interested in purchasing, click on the links
A few things about this piece:
– I tried to do what maybe a typical art piece of Las Vegas would be like….that didn’t work. So I embraced my own style & just went with it. It’s amazing that after all this time, I am still tempted to think that my own style won’t be good enough.
– I wanted it to be pretty but not TOO pretty & I wanted there to be some contrast in the piece. Both with colors & with the mood. I struggled for quite some time on that.
– While I want it to be obvious that it is Las Vegas, I also didn’t want to do anything that would be “expected.” So yes- I made the Eiffel tower blue & pretty, I put bright colors on The Luxor & I made the hot air balloon pink…what of it? Oh ya- the skyline of New York has some issues with bright colors as well. What can I say? That’s how I roll. (is that saying still in? Or am I totally out-of-date?)
-There is something specific in this piece that I am wondering if people will notice…so if you think you know what it is, by all means, let me know in the comments!! (I’m SO MYSTERIOUS!)
Here’s some detail shots. Click on the thumbnails to see clearer, larger images.
Keep up with Janelle Nichol
You know all those questionnaires that were always going around Facebook? The ones where they ask you 25 or 50 or however many random things & you come up with answers for them? Well, I decided I would do them again & post my answers here. Here we go.
1. Can you do push-ups? I call them push-ups. I don’t know what other people call them.
2. What is your favorite hobby? It used to be my art but that’s now my job, so it’s playing piano (which is also my job as I teach it), photography, reading & sitting outside tanning in the Summer…ruining my skin can be a hobby right?
3. What are some things you dislike about yourself? 2 things. I have a habit of repeating myself. Like- I will say the same thing over & over again & I will say the same thing in different ways each time (see what I did there?). I also have the tendency to type exactly what I’m thinking as I’m thinking it, exactly how I’m thinking it. I don’t really hate that about myself but I’m sure there are a few people who wish I could just shut-up & get to the point.
4. Best Birthday? I’m still waiting for it but everyone I’m married to doesn’t seem to think birthdays are a big deal so nothing ever gets planned. & by everyone I mean just the one husband.
5. Current pet peeve? People that don’t use any punctuation or capital letters when typing things online. I get such a headache trying to figure out where their sentences end & begin, but if I say anything, I get the old “here comes the grammar/punctuation police.” Now I’m not saying I should be that person but somebody needs to be monitoring this situation!!
6. How did you bring in the New Year last year? I really don’t remember & I can’t be bothered to put in the required amount of thought needed to recollect.
7. Where would you like to go? Back to Rome, Venice, Paris, England, Santorini. Also Disneyland.
8. Would you be a pirate? Seriously?? No. No- I would not be a pirate.
9. Favorite Books? There’s too many but I especially enjoy(?) reading both fiction & non-fiction books about WWll.
10. Favorite Girl Names? I suppose I must like Avery & Piper since that’s what I named my daughters.
11. Favorite Boy Names? Again with the names? What’s with that? Next.
12. Favorite Sports Team? Team Janelle.
13. Would you be friends with yourself? Not sure. I’m always thinking that every person in my life is one step away from realizing what a freak I am & that it’s only a matter of time before they ditch me. I have problems. Oh man, do I have problems.
14. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? I’ve always thought this was a dumb question & on those grounds I refuse to ever answer this question again.
15. Contacts or glasses? Both & I just found out that I have to get progressives at the age of 39!
16. Favorite Movies? Probably Gladiator & 300. They’ve got everything. Action, history, romance, oooh…no humor though. In general, I love watching action movies & I hate watching movies that make me cry. I save those stories for books. Why? Because I hate crying. I don’t have anything against crying, I just do everything I can not to participate in it.
17. Favorite Dessert? Just hit me with some sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, marshmallow topping & whip cream & we’ll call it a day.
18. Does anyone have a crush on you? No…as if.
19. Any celebrity look-a-likes? They aren’t going to make sense but here they are. Julia Roberts, Lea Michele, Rachel Dratch, Harry Potter, Michael Jackson & Gollum from Lord of The Rings. (see #22 for Gollum.)
20. Do you have a special talent? Some would say I’m an artist. Also, I play piano.
21. Is the cup half full or half empty? Are you kidding me? It is FOR SURE half empty. This photo explains my exact thoughts on this matter. I think this is why I make my artwork so positive. Sometimes, I find it hard to express positivity & inspiration in my daily life & yet it comes so easily in my artwork, which is also why I find it so encouraging & relaxing when I work because I’m not thinking about all the things that can & most certainly will go wrong. (It must be exhausting living with me)
22. Do you do any impressions? Yes. Gollum. I’m not even kidding. It is a popular request at family gatherings… I climb over the table, grab my sister Michaela’s hand & try to steal her ring while spewing out the words, “Preeeecioussss, me wanst it” Gollum style. It completely freaks her out, yet she still quite enjoys it. I’m very good at it & for some odd reason that makes me proud. He’s also listed in look-alikes, because there have been times in my life where even I admit that I have closely resembled him.
23. Weird things you’ve done? I once
yelled spoke very loudly in the middle of an aisle in Walmart “I can’t take this anymore!”. It was the Christmas season, there were lots of weird pajama clad people, things were in the aisles…it was like a maze & I could not find my way out.
24. Any last confessions? I am 39 & still think there might be someone hiding under my bed, so yes, I pull my feet up really quickly when I get into bed. Because we all know they can’t get you if your feet are up & you have the blankets pulled up to your chin!! I’m also very scared of spiders but just as terrified to kill them as I worry that I won’t quite complete the job & they will go away, regroup, form a posse & come after me with a vengeance.
So there you go! After revealing all of those crazy things about myself, I want to just mention something more about my artwork & what being an artist does for me personally. When I am not working & creating, it is very hard to keep my mind quiet and not get stressed out & overwhelmed. This piece here is one of my favorites & I titled it “A Still Morning” because that is how it speaks to me personally. I love that she is just so peaceful & relaxed. I find myself wishing I could be like her more often.
Next Post: The video I filmed in Las Vegas while I attended the Licensing Expo with my agent.
Keep up with Janelle Nichol
You may or may not remember that just over a month ago I recently took a trip to Las Vegas to meet with my agent for the International Licensing Show. I was also able to film an interview there which I am finally going to show you in this post!
I had a TON of fun and it was really exciting as it is something I never really imagined would happen. So I thought I’d share a little bit about how this all came about…the art & the licensing. I’ve always been very creative & I have never been scared to start creative projects even if I had never done them before. I would say my creative side was first evident in music. That is what I did for a career & that is what I’ve studied in. Many people who knew me back in the day have now told me that, even though I did not consider myself any type of artist, they aren’t surprised to hear now that I have become a professional legitimate artist. The signs have always been there but it was not until later on that they actually came & showed themselves to me (HAHA). In a future post I will share about how I learned how to sketch. It’s kind of an interesting story.
Now the licensing part of it came much later. I had been interested in licensing my artwork for quite some time but didn’t know anything about it. I didn’t even know it was called “licensing”! I did some research online, & eventually sent out an email to another artist. I don’t even remember what I wrote in the email & frankly, I don’t want to…I’m pretty sure I would be embarassed because it was probably not that well written and remember? I had no idea what I was even doing! My agent has “threatened” to show it to me but I refuse. So long story still kinda long…my agent Todd, ended up receiving this email and he contacted me. In the beginning, I was quite hesitant because there are so many people out there offering services that don’t know much more about certain topics than I do! However, the one thing that kind of got my attention was that he was also the agent for a very successful artist that I had LONG been a fan of. After having a few conversations with him, I soon decided that it would be great to work with him. He has spent hours & hours really teaching me all about licensing, how to make my artwork more marketable and getting me set up with this website. Plus- he puts up with all of my emails that contain all of my endless questions. BONUS!! In case you didn’t know, my agency is International Creative Licensing.
Which brings us to me finding myself in Las Vegas at the Licensing Show. Right from the very beginning, like the very first conversation I had with him, it was suggested I plan to go. I was like, “Sign me up. I am there with bells on”. But I have to admit, there was a part of me that was thinking this might not go anywhere & the only place I would find myself in June would be my house here in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada, literally praying for Summer to come so my winter long depression could finally come to an end. Ok, I’m exagerating, winter doesn’t last here until June…it’s more like May.
So here’s the video that I filmed as well as some photos of my WONDERFUL time in Las Vegas. Basically, if I wasn’t at the show, I was at the pool. I was eating that sun up like nobody’s business! We were also given tickets to go see Blue Man group which was great BTW. In this video, I mainly answer questions about my art as it relates to licensing, but I will be doing another video soon where I answer all of the questions you have asked about me that have more to do with me as a person & my art & how I fit it all in.
Keep up with Janelle Nichol
Hi everybody! Hope you are all enjoying a lovely Summer. Today I want to tell you about a few things. You may or may not be aware of the flooding that occurred in Southern Alberta, Canada and I know many of you who follow my blog live in the affected areas. For those of you who are not familiar with the situation, Calgary & many towns in Southern Alberta were flooded. You can read about that and view some crazy photos HERE.
But I have been hearing many stories of people volunteering…so many great stories with awesome people helping each other. People coming from out of province into the city of Calgary, then people from the city of Calgary going to the town of High River which was very badly affected. I could include so many links to stories about this but HERE is just one of them.
Living up in Northwestern Alberta, I am still a ways away from it, but hearing about people I know volunteering & contributing made me want to do something as well. So here is what I am doing and I hope you will be willing to help out as well!
There is a Women’s Emergency Shelter that was affected by the flooding in Calgary and in speaking on the phone with them, I learned that they had to evacuate the shelter in the middle of the night. This meant women & children with basically no possessions except what the shelter provides for them, lost everything & they didn’t really have that much to begin with. I can’t imagine what it would feel like to lose many of my possessions but when I think about women & children who already didn’t have that much, to lose that as well, it’s pretty heartbreaking. Many of you can tell through my artwork that I obviously have a soft spot for women and children in my heart. I really strive to portray, in my art, women who are strong but also sweet & sensitive. Women who are beautiful and inspired. I always want to send positive, uplifting messages in my artwork that encourage women to be who they were made to be. The women in my pieces don’t have to follow anyone’s definition of what a women is SUPPOSED to be, they just need to be themselves. The children in my artwork also usually have a sweet playful side with maybe a little bit of mischief at times. I really just try to portray how I view women & children in real life!
So with all that said, I decided to donate, for the rest of July, half of the proceeds from EVERY print sold and EVERY Limited Edition Giclee Canvas sold, starting today. As I said previously, I have been in contact with the shelter and I filled out an application which was reviewed by them so please know that your money will go towards purchasing some artwork you love for yourself or maybe a friend, but also will be going to help in relief efforts for the Calgary Womens Emergency Shelter. Please help me raise some money for these women and children! Remember- 50% from EVERY print and Limited Edition Giclee Canvas sold will go towards this SHELTER.
How can you help?
There are 2 ways you can help.
1. Purchasing– Please go to my Etsy Shop & all of the purchases of prints and canvases will be included in the donations. You can pay by Paypal or click on “other” when you check out & send me your CC info in a message through Etsy. If you would prefer not to purchase through Etsy, please send me an email HERE & we can work out your purchases & they will count as well for the relief donations. When you purchase a 16×20 print, or any size of Giclee Canvas Reproduction know that these are LIMITED EDITIONS. They are numbered and you will receive a Certificate of Authenticity upon request.
2. Sharing– Like/Share this post and the one I will do from my Facebook Page. If you are not able to purchase at this time, you can help by Sharing, Liking, Tweeting, Pinning & letting people know that if they purchase something it will go towards this cause. If you just share it without telling people why, they may not respond.
About The Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter
The Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter is focused on ending family violence and abuse in the lives of women and children, youth and men. Over the last 39 years, the agency has helped over 139,000 Calgarians build safe and healthy relationships. For more information visit them HERE
Please feel free to post any comments/questions you have in the comment section below.
Keep up with Janelle Nichol
I will be going to Las Vegas for the Licensing Expo on Monday. The actual show takes place from Tuesday to Thursday. I will be meeting with Bill Uglow and Todd Uglow from my agency, International Creative Licensing. I am really looking forward to seeing them and learning more about licensing my artwork.
In the meantime, I have posted on my facebook page, this sketch, asking for people’s input as to what colors they envision on the dress and in the background. I have my own ideas as to what I want to do but was curious to see what everyone else was thought. I got many different opinions and I thought it was all quite interesting. Anyway, here is the sketch for that. NOTE: If you don’t see any options to comment, it is because I may need to turn them off while in the US as I get a lot of spam and am trying to keep my emails to a minimum while in the states so as not use to much data. That can get expensive!!
Hi all! Today I just wanted to do a feature on my new Fashion series artworks. I will be adding many more pieces in the future but these are my first round of pieces for this series.
I’ve been wanting to do “shoes” for awhile now and finally just did it in time for my Calgary show a couple of weeks ago. I have to say, these were so much fun to do! I was going for a really embellished, glamorous, artsy look. I also wanted to experiment with some colors that I haven’t used too often in the past. These stylish shoe pieces were a big hit in the show in Calgary so I already have plans to make many more for the Fall shows. A few of the Originals are still available for purchase in my Etsy Shop and all of these images are available as a Print and Stretched canvases. These are great in sets of 3 on the wall. I am going to be placing a set of them right beside my large bedroom mirror so that I can view them while I put on my jewellery. Right now I am offering a special promotional price in my Etsy Shop when you purchase 3 of these prints together. The sizes are 11×11 for the square images and 11×14 for the landscape or portrait images.
Here’s a video featuring the images of the shoes and all of the close-up detail shots of the shoes. The detail shots show some shadows because of some of the angles I used when photographing them but those shadows don’t show up in a print.
Hi everybody, hopefully, you are all enjoying warmer weather where you are. I know that Spring has finally arrived here in Grande Prairie. Well, it was more like instant Summer as we had +30 degrees Celsius within one week of full blown winter weather!
I have been quite busy getting ready for the show in Calgary. We just returned Monday evening. It was a pretty busy time. It was great to be in Calgary and have the opportunity to show my artwork there. I had a great time meeting many of you who have now subscribed to my newsletter and some of you went to my FB page immediately & “liked” me WHILE you were waiting for me to put your purchase through! I really enjoy meeting new collectors as well as talking with people who have been collecting my art for some time now. I look forward to doing more shows throughout Alberta this year and you can always check out my schedule Here. It looks like I will be quite booked in the Fall, so as of now, I unfortunately will not be able to make it back to Calgary this year but hopefully in 2014.
Here are a few pictures of the show as well as a quick video I put together. Let me know what you think in the comments below. In my next blog post, I will be featuring some new pieces and sketches!
Wednesdays Featured Artwork